I have deliberately timed this posting to "go live" at 8:46PM ADT for 2 reasons. First - it will be after Shabbat has ended. Second - it will mark (in a manner) the time that American Airlines Flight 11 was deliberately crashed into the World Trade Center's North Tower on September 11, 2001 - though of course, that was in the morning - 8:46AM - followed later that day by United Airlines Flight 175 (South Tower), American Airlines Flight 77 (The Pentagon) and United Airlines Flight 93 (brought down by heroic passengers in rural Pennsylvania).
There are lots and lots of articles, links, etc. about this, the ninth anniversary of 9/11. The events of the day. The conspiracy theories. The aftermath. The current controversies. And so on. You can find that in lots of places.
What I am going to share with you is an article that has always resonated with me about Rick Rescorla - one of the murdered victims who lost his life that terrible day in New York City.
I know that his story is only one of many, and I am not judging his to be more-deserving than any others. Like I said above, it has always resonated with me - perhaps because of the connection to his participation in the famous Vietnam battle at the Ia Drang Valley (the subject of the film "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young....").
Here is the article - I hope that you find it as riveting and memorable as did I



Thank you for the reminder to never forget and to remember to think for ourselves instead of allowing others to do it for us.
ReplyDeleteRick Rescorla lived a full life. He did what he had to do when he led his fellow Morgan Stanley employees to safety. Ending the story with the line "that he died like a true hero instead of like the weak bastards we are surrounded by" was a little too testosterone filled to resonate with me. The tragedy was that he was vaporized by a bunch of twisted weak bastards who found glory in death.What was equally twisted was his friend Hill converting to Islam, eventhough he knew what these fanatics represented.A.S.
ReplyDelete