Tuesday, April 27, 2010 - #2

1. A Different Approach - In my Israel advocacy work, I do not for a moment think that my (sarcasm on) highly sophisticated and brilliant blog entries (sarcasm off) is going to convince the hard-core anti-Israel types to suddenly see the light - that is highly unrealistic and would be a waste of resources.

My goals are much more modest - (a) to provide support and information to pro-Israel people who may not have the time or inclination to sift through all the developments regarding Israel, Judaism and so on, and (b) to try to convince people who are not necessarily pro-Israel but who have an open mind about Israel and are willing to engage in honest debate that a lot of what is thrown about regarding Israel is disingenuous, dishonest or just plain incorrect.

Therefore, in various circumstances, I think that approaches that are not confrontational but which show the commonality of Canadian and Israeli values are very useful. Here is one example - Jewish group tries to counter anti-Israel activity on campuses.


2. The US and Israel - Some things to ponder:
3. Experts - One of my favorite sayings is that an expert is a man who knows 100 ways to make love to a woman but doesn't know any women, so - here is an interesting article >>>>>> How to tell when a Mideast Expert is lying - Haaretz - Israel News.


4. Do We Need A Shoah Memorial In Atlantic City? - Atlantic City boardwalk to get a Holocaust memorial - strikes me as strange.


5. This Is Controversial - I am sure that this article will make some people wonder whether I have lost my head - and no, I do not like his use of the term apartheid - Declare Independence. Free Israel. End the Occupation - Haaretz - Israel News - but in the interest of intellectual honesty, I think that it deserves to be read and critiqued, rather than ignored or dismissed.

6. What If Achmed Woke Up One Day To Discover He Is Really Avram? - Fiddler on the mosque


7. Hitler Parodies - Not sure if I posted about this before. One used to be able to go to YouTube and search for clips that parodied Hitler's reaction to any number of current events - most often I had seen it in terms of sports events (Hitler reacts to Kovalev signing with Ottawa). The parodies are based on a very dramatic scene from the excellent movie Downfall that chronicles the last days of Hitler in the bunker in Berlin, with subtitles appropriate to the parody being superimposed on the clip.

But is the stuff funny? Personally, I do not think so, and I consider myself to have fairly broad taste. Here is one perspective - Close Read: The Downfall of “Downfall” : The New Yorker. Oh, and in late breaking news - YouTube has removed these parodies from its site - CANOE -- CNEWS - Media News: Hitler 'Downfall' parodies removed from YouTube.

The best thing to do is watch the movie - it is excellent.



9. The Palestinians - Here are a variety of articles:
10. Egypt - Not sure I agree with everything in this article, but I think that basic premise is correct - Egypt a ticking time bomb | Eric Margolis | Columnists | Comment | Ottawa Sun




12. Jewish History In Budapest - In Budapest, Jewish history came looking for us

13. From The Left - I take this to be an exercise in intellectual honesty - CIC Scene » Speech by Spanish Activist Pilar Rahola: The Struggle of Israel is the Struggle of the World

14. There's A Lot Of Truth Here, Too - CIC Scene » Exposing the Unholy Alliance of Israel Haters





17. Jaffa Gate - Jerusalem reopens popular Old City gate - Yahoo! News - proving that the Palestinians can complain about anything.


18. Hockey News - I have been a fan of the Montreal Canadiens since 1968 - generally a rewarding time frame, but not so much lately. In this year's playoffs, the Habs are facing Eastern Conference champion Washington and its high-powered offence led by Alexander Ovechkin. Pretty much all predictions were that Washington would kick the daylights out of Montreal for 4 games before moving on to the next round.

But it has not worked out that way. Montreal goaltender Jaroslav Halak has been nothing short of phenomenal in allowing Montreal to battle back from a 3-1 series deficit to force a deciding Game 7 tomorrow night in Washington. Here's hoping the Habs can do it one more time!

Here is some amazing video of Halak's handiwork:

No comments:

Post a Comment

While you are free to disagree with something I have said or posted, you must not use inappropriate language - comments that are profane, racist or otherwise objectionable will not be tolerated.