To the Editor:
While I am concerned for her sake about the level of rage expressed by Reverend Margaret Sager in her opinion piece published on November 13th, I was relieved to read that she is neither antisemitic nor opposed to the existence of the State of Israel. Presumably then, she is open to an honest discussion about the reality of the current international campaign to delegitimize and demonize Israel.
Whether it is the annual falsehood of Israel Apartheid Week, the various Boycott/Divestment/Sanction programs initiated against Israel by groups as diverse as Canada’s very own CUPW, and the British Association of University Teachers, the vile antisemitic hatred that emanates daily from Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran – surely even Reverend Sager would admit that Israel’s very legitimacy is under attack like no other nation in the world.
Why is Israel such a target? Is it because (in the Reverend’s view), Israel denies human rights to the Palestinians or does not adhere to the rule of law?
Space does not permit me to address in detail the serious fallacies in the Reverend’s apparent assumptions. However, my response is simple - on the human rights front, if honestly examined, Israel’s record stands as a beacon not only within the Middle East, but to all of the nations of the world. As for the rule of law, in what other country in the Middle East, let alone throughout much of the world, is there truly an independent judiciary?
But perhaps there is a better contrast that sums everything up quite succinctly. The parents of Rachel Corrie, who was killed in Gaza while trying to block an Israeli military bulldozer from filling in subterranean tunnels used for arms smuggling, have sued the State of Israel and the Israel Defence Forces in an Israeli court alleging wrongful death. The parents of Israeli soldier Gilad Schalit, who was kidnapped from Israeli territory in 2006 have not even been allowed to contact him – Hamas has even denied the International Red Cross the right to visit him. That speaks volumes to me.
The real issue is not that Israel asserts some sort of special exemption from international law. Israel demands no special status – it simply asks to be treated in the same manner as other nations – something that is clearly not the case. Look at the obscene record of the UNHRC and its corrupt predecessor – which obsessively criticized Israel while ignoring egregious human rights violations around the world. Criticism of Israel by the United Nations and various NGOs is, much more often than not, simply a flimsy front for the enemies of Israel. How can one take the United Nations seriously when Saudi Arabia is granted membership on the new UN Women organization, or when countries like Syria and Libya have been members of the United Nations Security Council. Now there is something to be outraged about!
Reverend Sager can engage in free speech and criticize the policies of the Israeli government all she wants, provided she does so in an honest and civil manner. Israel can take it and is not afraid of it. However, I hope that the Reverend has studied antisemitism enough to know that antisemitism today is not the same as in the past – much of today’s antisemitism is deceitfully cloaked in anti-Israel statements and actions.
I also expect that in coming weeks on these pages and in her sermons to her parishioners, the Reverend will vigorously exercise her rights of free speech (not available in many countries of the world but clearly available in Canada, the United States and Israel) to criticize similar issues in other countries. However, she would be wise to remember that in the words of the late American diplomat Dean Acheson, “[f]ree speech is a restraint on the government, not an incitement for the citizens”.
In the meantime, the plain fact is that in general there is a mob mentality regarding “getting Israel”. I have great admiration for Prime Minister Harper for his principled stand in standing up for Israel – it takes guts and integrity to speak out in support of someone who is being bullied.
Sunday, November 21, 2010
1. They Published My Response - My response to the column last week with which I took such issue (see my previous blog entry) was in yesterday's Halifax paper - Israel’s legitimacy under attack - Letters - TheChronicleHerald.ca (the reason there is a repeated paragraph is that in the print version, the last paragraph was used as a "tease").

My original (admittedly rather long) response was edited to meet the Editor's space requirements. Here is the full version:
2. I Guess He Mis-Spoke - I'm going to make this quick, because George Galloway deserves as little attention as possible.
Galloway spoke in Halifax last week (Thursday evening) - if you were in town and had a queasy feeling, maybe that is why. The following article was in Friday's Halifax paper - Controversial ex-British MP envisions bi-national state in Israel - Metro - TheChronicleHerald.ca.
Galloway knows full well that the bi-national state he urges (and which all the peace, love and understanding types eat up without question) is nothing more than national suicide by demography for Israel. However, this is the line that particularly caught my attention - "I am not now nor have I ever been a supporter of Hamas," Galloway told The Herald’s editorial board."
I guess he forgot this little video - when you tell so many stories, I guess it's hard to keep things straight:
3. I Can't Resist - there are just no words to describe this video of George Galloway - yep, he's the guy I want to give me advice on Canada's role in Afghanistan, Canada's relations with Israel. Oh yeah - and to hand bags of cash to the leaders of Hamas.
4. Free Speech #1 - David Frum: York University, where the rules change based on who’s speaking Full Comment National Post and University threatens to sue rabbi over anti-Galloway email.
5. Free Speech #2 - Idiot mob mentality Michael Coren Columnists Comment Ottawa Sun and 'Progressive' intolerance in action.
7. No One Misses Him, I Guess - Yasser Arafat: Why Many Palestinians Don't Miss Him :: Hudson New York
8. Don't You Just Love The "Elites"? - Britain Extends the White Flag of Surrender to Islamist Radicals :: Hudson New York
10. Interesting - Pajamas Media » The Bizarre Case of Nietzsche: The Pro-Jewish Writer Who Inspired a Million Anti-Semites
12. OK - I Like "Glee" - It is one of the very few current shows that I watch - started to watch it this season - here is an excerpt from a recent episode:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment
While you are free to disagree with something I have said or posted, you must not use inappropriate language - comments that are profane, racist or otherwise objectionable will not be tolerated.