Wednesday, October 21, 2009 - Mini-Blog from the Road

1. This Sort Of Says It All - Op-Ed Contributor - Rights Watchdog, Lost in the Mideast - NYTimes.com. The op-ed is written by the founder of Human Rights Watch and its active Chairman for 20 years. It very succinct and well worth the read, but here is the conclusion:
"Only by returning to its founding mission and the spirit of humility that animated it can Human Rights Watch resurrect itself as a moral force in the Middle East and throughout the world. If it fails to do that, its credibility will be seriously undermined and its important role in the world significantly diminished."
I sure hope someone is listening, but I rather doubt it.



2. This Is One Reason Why I Doubt Anyone Is Listening - Tom Gross: Attack an Israeli, no terrorism. Attack an Iranian storm trooper, that's different - Full Comment - people just do not get it




4. J Street, Or Should I Say Sesame Street? J Street’s Threat to Israel – by P. David Hornik FrontPage Magazine. I do not think that expressing legitimate criticism of Israel's policies is inappropriate. However, it seems to me that the relatively new J Street lobby group goes too far in this regard and is naive to the degree that most of what it says and does might as well come from a character on Sesame Street. As Hornik states:
"Genuine friends of Israel, outside and inside of government, Jewish and non-Jewish—who need not agree with all of its policies but respect its autonomy and democracy—should beware of what J Street really is and the threat it poses."

5. My Fair Lady -
RubinReports: When it comes to the Middle East: The Brains in Spain (and elsewhere) Fall Mainly Down the Drain - also see Turkey: Syria Insists We Moderate Peace Talks With Israel – Forward.com.


7. Technology And The War On Terror - Pajamas Media » Inside the Predator’s War on Terror - fascinating stuff to be sure. However, while I would never be cavalier with the lives of the sons and daughters of others, air power and cutting edge technology cannot remove the need to send in ground troops to take and hold territory, root out a well-entrenched enemy and its supporting infrastructure, and deal with local non-combatants.




9. Blood Libels - This article from Hamodia reminds us that Arab blood libels against Jews are nothing new.



12. Yiddish Lesson - Clearing up the Meshugas for Maureen Dowd and William Safire – Forward.com - as an aside, I think that Maureen Dowd needs lots of other lessons as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While you are free to disagree with something I have said or posted, you must not use inappropriate language - comments that are profane, racist or otherwise objectionable will not be tolerated.