June 19, 2010 - brief motzei Shabbat blog

1. A New High In Low - Today's Halifax Herald contained one of the most inflammatory letters to the editor that I have read anywhere - it is offensive on any number of levels, but apart from the ridiculous recitation of history, what I found the most offensive was the way he appropriated his grandfather's murder in the Shoah (since his grandfather died at least 65 years ago, what are the odds that he ever knew his grandfather?), but especially that of thousands of other Jews, as a vehicle to defend NDP Deputy Leader (and apparently Head Moron) Libby Davies (here is a brief review of the story for those who are unfamiliar - Libby Davies' Helen Thomas moment). In any event, here is the letter:
"Speech not so free

When I read of an NDP member of Parliament being forced to apologize for saying Israel has occupied Palestine since 1948, I cannot help wondering how my grandfather, Bela Szego, who died in Mauthausen concentration camp along with thousands of other Jews, would have reacted to the story. I like to think Bela, who was a journalist, would have been as outraged as I was that in a country that supposedly allows free speech, political correctness counts for more than historical fact.

Palestine has been an occupied country since 1948, when the state of Israel was unilaterally declared by a small group of Jewish settlers in defiance of the tenets of the Balfour Declaration of 1917. The declaration proposed a Jewish homeland in Palestine, but with the proviso that the people already living there should not be displaced.

In the years following that arguably illegal act, Israel has expanded its borders, displaced thousands, built up a nuclear arsenal and sent paid assassins across the world to murder those it considers its enemies. It defies UN decisions, public outrage and common humanity.

But we must not say such things!

Eric Hamblin, Halifax"

I wonder if he would evoke the memory of his grandfather so readily to defend, for example, Mark Steyn or Ezra Levant. I entirely doubt it. Or, what would Mr. Self-Righteous Indignation say about this - Pajamas Media » In an England Suburb, Teaching the Kids Jihad and Jew Hatred

2. New School Peace Activists - Here is a video of the "briefing" being given to the "peace activists" on the Mavi Murmura before it set sail for Gaza. I guess these guys are members of the new school of peace activists - peace and humanitarian concerns have nothing to do with it.



By the way, watching these automatons react to their briefers makes me think of this scene from the movie "Stripes" - if only they were as harmless.


3. Good Riddance - José Saramago, Nobel Prize-Winning Portuguese Writer, Dies at 87 - Obituary (Obit) - NYTimes.com and David Frum: Death of a Jew-hater | Full Comment | National Post. As far as I am concerned, I hope he died an agonizing painful and lengthy death. I am just sorry that he did not take some of his friends with him to hell. I think I've made myself clear on this one.


4. More UN Hypocrisy - this is a big help - U.S. taxpayer money sent to pay UNRWA salaries in Gaza ends up going to Hamas - Jihad Watch - do not get me started on UNRWA.


5. Ab-so-lutely Correct - Hamas is the elephant in the room - Pajamas Media » The Distorted Gaza Debate: It’s About Hamas, Stupid.




7. John Robson - I had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Robson, a columnist for the Ottawa Citizen, on two occasions in Ottawa - A cancer on the political left « Canadian Jewish Congress.

8. It Ain't Easy Speaking Up For Israel These Days - but this former Spanish Prime Minister had the courage to do so - CIC Scene » Former PM of Spain: Support Israel – If It Goes Down, We All Go Down - unfortunately, the people who really need to hear this are deaf and stupid.






11. Sir Elton John - kudos for not knuckling under to the boycott pressure - Elton's human jukebox.


12. Great Clip - in item 2 above, I included a clip from the 1981 movie "Stripes". Here is another great scene from that movie - by the way - here is a trivia question - who is the guy at the 2:36 point of the video clip - not his name but the role for which he was most "famous"?



No comments:

Post a Comment

While you are free to disagree with something I have said or posted, you must not use inappropriate language - comments that are profane, racist or otherwise objectionable will not be tolerated.