Saturday evening (motzei Shabbat), June 6, 2009

Shavua Tov.

1. Well clearly, the event and story of the week has been President Obama's visit to Cairo and his speech to the Muslim world. I have been amazed at the number of wide-ranging reactions from all sides of the spectrum. I am still figuring out my take of the whole thing, and am very interested in yours. So here are a variety of materials, including the video of the address as well as the text, and numerous reactions - some of which may surprise you.

Here are a variety of articles from David Horowitz of FrontPage Magazine, from the National Review, Caroline Glick, Jonah Goldberg, and Canada's National Post. In the interests of fairness and balance, I also enclose a deconstruction of the address by various Canadian Muslims.

2. Another important Obama-related story from this week is his visit to Buchenwald. Let's give him full credit for this one.

3. Today is the 65th anniversary of D-Day.





We should all take a moment and remember the sacrifices of the Canadian, American, British and other servicemen on that terrible day.

4. So, apart from the usual, here's a good reason to go to synagogue - you just never know who you will meet! Last week, I had the pleasure of meeting a very interesting couple from Toronto. Today, I was accompanied by one of families who have moved here from Israel on their first visit to our synagogue. At the Kiddush, I met Joel Glazier of Delaware - a Beatles expert - a fascinating man, as evidenced by this article and this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

While you are free to disagree with something I have said or posted, you must not use inappropriate language - comments that are profane, racist or otherwise objectionable will not be tolerated.