
2. Separation of "Church" and State? - Following on my recent posting about matrilineal descent, here is an interesting case from the UK - In Major School Case, British Courts Rule On Who Is a Jew. So a British Court decided that "... Jewish schools are guilty of racial discrimination if they reject children on the grounds of their parentage." I am not necessarily supportive of the non-recognition of a non-Orthodox conversion, but as is stated in the article - I do not believe this to be an area that is within the proper domain of a court. This could well lead to some very weird stuff - slippery slope alert!
3. Physician, Heal Thyself - An Israeli becomes President of the World Medical Association (I've heard somewhere that Jewish physicians are not uncommon...) and what do you get - in this case later rather than sooner? Protests! First, Do No Harm summarizes this shameful story well.
4. President Jimmah - Permit me a brief intro to this item. Recently, the Torah portion of the week was Balak - (I hope that this summary is accurate) Balak was a Moabite King who was worried about the military prowess of the Israelites. He was the catalyst for trying to hire the prophet Bilaam to curse the Israelites - see - no need for nukes! - but G-d intervened and made Balak praise the Israelites instead. Some people consider that this Torah portion, which contains a talking donkey by the way, to be one of the few examples of humor in the Torah (after all, the Torah is an historical (not hysterical) and legal text). The famous blessing given unintentionally by Bilaam is:
"How goodly are your tents, O Jacob, your dwelling places, O Israel. Numbers 24:5
This blessing - from a non-Jewish prophet - is the opening prayer of Shabbat (Saturday) morning services - I also see on the net that the blessing starts off Israel Radio broadcasts - can someone verify that for me?
So - after all that - here is the story about the President many of us love to hate - read it and you will see an eerie parallel, similar to Secretary of State Clinton broke her right arm after selling out Jerusalem (If I forget thee O Jerusalem, let my right arm wither....).
5. The Obama-Nator - So while we are criticizing Democratic Presidents - check this out - The High School Valedictorian Presidency.
6. Propaganda: Exposed - From aish.com, and thanks to AS for bringing this to my attention.
7. Self Loathing Jew Alert - I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Max Blumenthal, son of former Clinton aide Sidney Blumenthal - is Jewish. With that in mind, check out this story.
8. Bait & Switch - from the CIC - The Old Bait-and-Switch.
9. Dead Entertainer, Part 1 - there is a rumor about a story that did not get very much press - something about a singer who died recently - this letter to the editor in last week's Globe & Mail summarizes up my thoughts rather well - The ever-so-long goodbye.
10. Sir Paul in Halifax - any attempt to describe Sir Paul's performance Saturday evening on the Halifax Commons would be totally inadequate - but let's just say that if I live to be 67, I hope I have 10 percent of his energy. I am not a big fan of tattoos, but here is a related story that was amazing to witness. (PS - Joel Plaskett was an amazing opening act).


No comments:
Post a Comment
While you are free to disagree with something I have said or posted, you must not use inappropriate language - comments that are profane, racist or otherwise objectionable will not be tolerated.