Monday, August 10, 2009 - A Change of Pace

And now for something completely different...just for a change of pace, today I am going to post only images.

1. From the Shorpy website - www.shorpy.com - a fantastic site for photography aficionados - this picture is the Federation of Jewish Farmers of America exhibit at the Educational Alliance building, East Broadway and Jefferson Street - New York, October 13, 1909. Here is the link to the high definition version of the picture.


2. Israel from Space - Tel Aviv is on the left, Jerusalem is to the lower right.


3. Kristallnacht Project - from another great photography site - http://wetplate.com/ - "Mainz Synagogue Remains", March, 2008, Mainz, Germany, 8x10 Black Glass Ambrotype.


4. Afghan Helicopter Landing - from Michael Yon's website - http://www.michaelyon-online.com/ - Helmand Province, Afghanistan. "This Landing Zone is very dangerous. A few weeks ago, another helicopter was coming into this LZ and was shot down at the last minute, killing all passengers and crew. Two children on the ground also were killed. The sparks coming off the rotors occur when the helicopters land in hot, dusty conditions. The landing itself occurs in a dangerous "brownout." Brownout danger is compounded by the sparks which light up the dust and can confuse pilots who are wearing extremely sensitive night-vision goggles."


5. Statue of Faith - I took this picture in Jaffa in May, 2009.


6. St. Peter's Church - my pictures as well, taken in Jaffa in May, 2009. When I was there, I kept thinking of the cover of the 1976 Eagles album "Hotel California" - check it out!


7. Minaret from Mahmoudia Mosque - also taken by me in Jaffa in May, 2009. In the background is the Andromeda Rock - based on a story taken from Greek mythology. The legend says that Andromeda was the beautiful daughter of a queen called Cassiopeia and a king called Cepheus. The queen claimed that she and her daughter Andromeda were more beautiful than the sea nymphs. Poseidon (the god of sea) was very mad with her so he sent big waves to flood the land. The king consulted the wise oracle and he told him to sacrifice his daughter to the god of sea. Andromeda was chained to the the rocks in front of Jaffa and Perseus (a Greek hero) saw her and saved her (the power of love). The legend says that the hero killed the monster Poseidon sent and now the remains of the monster are the rocks.


8. Memorial Plaque - for Raoul Wallenberg - in the Garden of the Righteous Among the Nations, Yad Vashem, Jerusalem, taken by me in May 2009.


9. SACH - In May, 2009, I visited Save a Child’s Heart (SACH) in Holon, south of Tel Aviv. It is an Israeli-based international humanitarian project, whose mission is to improve the quality of pediatric cardiac care for children from developing countries who suffer from heart disease and to create centers of competence in these countries. SACH is totally dedicated to the idea that every child deserves the best medical treatment available, regardless of the child's nationality, religion, color, gender or financial situation.


10. I think something here is redundant, I think something here is redundant - How can I pay the fine if I am dead?

2 comments:

  1. Great photography, Wondering why one minaret is topped with a cross a while the other has crescents mounted on the dome???A.S.

    Too bad that SACH was not written about in the general media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I think that you may be confusing the crosses at the top of the spires for St. Peter's Church with the mosque.

    SACH is not the only story of its type in Israel - and none of them get any press. Visiting SACH was one of the most moving moments of the trip

    ReplyDelete

While you are free to disagree with something I have said or posted, you must not use inappropriate language - comments that are profane, racist or otherwise objectionable will not be tolerated.